This Page

has been moved to new address

A Long, Slow Slog Through the Most Amazing Adventure Ever!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
LoveBug Studios Blog: A Long, Slow Slog Through the Most Amazing Adventure Ever!

LoveBug Studios Blog

Happenings at the quilting studio!

Monday, August 16, 2010

A Long, Slow Slog Through the Most Amazing Adventure Ever!

Some people jump out of airplanes for their sense of adventure.  As for me, I think writing & publishing my own line of patterns is what I call adventurous.

I haven't been writing much these days (well, not on the blog anyway) but I wanted to give an update on where I'm at.  I've also been having some general pains in my back & shoulder area, which keeps me away from the studio (or at least I can't spend hours at a time in there, I can only tolerate sewing for about 10 minutes at a time) and off the computer for long stretches.

Even so, I managed to get the design created for the first pattern, plus the sample quilt top!  It's quite a beauty if I do say so myself.  And I'll have to make another one, but first I have to write the instructions.

Next, the cover design is DONE DONE.  Finally!  I had to get some permissions on a few graphics that I don't own, and being an independent designer myself, I know how I'd feel if someone just swiped one of my designs and went whole hog.  Luckily, the two companies involved were good natured about it, and one of them said I was free to use it, alter it, reproduce it, and do pretty much what I want with it, as long as I understand that I do not have exclusive license to it.  My graphic artist is an AMAZING talent, and he's come up with some really nice things, and even created a banner for me to use when I go to Quilt Market.  As IF!

The pattern itself is another thing entirely.  I'm pretty sure that this pattern will take me much longer to write than future ones, because I have to design all the elements and the layout as I go.  It's hard to know how you want something to look if you don't have content.  Well, all my content is handwritten across 8 pages (I write big & don't follow the lines) and it's not really what you'd call a pattern, but is more like a guideline.

I'm also doing my own illustrations.  It's probably fine for right now, but since I don't really know how to illustrate, they are probably pretty crude by comparison.  I think they really help though, or so my pattern testers tell me, so I'll keep plugging away.

The really awesome thing is that based on my work this evening, I have TWO FULL PAGES written!  I'm not going to jinx myself by saying it will be smooth sailing from here, but as they say - the hard part is in the starting.

Now I am super exhausted, and my back is starting to complain, so I'm going to call it a night!

Happy quilting!

Labels: