This Page

has been moved to new address

Publishing My Own Quilt Patterns - Should I Do It?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
LoveBug Studios Blog: Publishing My Own Quilt Patterns - Should I Do It?

LoveBug Studios Blog

Happenings at the quilting studio!

Monday, July 26, 2010

Publishing My Own Quilt Patterns - Should I Do It?

I was in San Diego recently, and had the opportunity to visit Cozy Quilts in El Cajon.  This store is so amazing, made even more so by the fact that the owner, Daniela Stout, writes and publishes her own books and patterns.  I walked in, and there's an entire wall just covered with her patterns - there must be nearly 100!

As I looked through her patterns, it started to dawn on me... I've been my own worst enemy when it comes to putting my creations out there into the world.  I've been thinking, "My designs are too simple.  Nobody would pay money for a pattern to make a quilt out of charm squares." Or I've thought, "Nobody would buy patterns from me when there are so many free patterns out there."

Now, don't get me wrong.  Daniela is amazingly inventive, and she has some patterns that will knock your socks off.  But she also has some patterns that a lot of more experienced quilters would just look at and say, "Bah! I can make that myself! I don't need a pattern!"  Quilts like, Chinese Coin, and Charm Squares, and Strip Quilts.

At the end of the day though, that's not really the point, is it?  It's not the fact that the pattern is a familiar Chinese Coins pattern, but that it's a Chinese Coins pattern by Daniela.  It's her aesthetic.  Her writing style.  Her brand.  She has done something to make this pattern appeal to people, and she's got patterns that resonate with quilters across the spectrum - from really simple to more complex.  I typically don't buy quilt patterns, because I have so many of my own ideas floating around that it's impossible to fit anyone else's ideas in, but I did buy two of hers.  I even bought the fabric at her store to make one of them.  And it's not a super complicated pattern, I just really liked the picture of the quilt on the front!  :)

I got really inspired by visiting Daniela's shop yesterday.  So much so that I'm seriously considering publishing my own patterns under my QuiltPossible! imprint.  I'd done this on a limited basis before, but it was almost invisible, and shocking when I actually sold some.  You guys know I've been writing about QuiltPossible! forever (well, over a year anyway over on HandmadeNews.org) and sometimes I'll put my creations in my Etsy store.  I actually had put a couple of kits on my website last year and ended up selling one.  Not exactly the fastest route to fame and fortune.

It's a really scary thought to go the more public, visible route, but I'm running out of excuses, and I'm feeling really encouraged by feedback that I'm getting from people as I start to interact more with the wider quilting community.  Maybe it's true that not many people will pay money for my patterns... but I'll never know if I don't try.

What do you think of this?  Should I go for it?

Happy quilting!

Labels: