This Page

has been moved to new address

Madras Print Scarf

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
LoveBug Studios Blog: Madras Print Scarf

LoveBug Studios Blog

Happenings at the quilting studio!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Madras Print Scarf

I recently got a custom order through my shop for a fringed scarf made from Madras plaid. I just happen to have about 15 yards of Madras that I got on sale a while back - but I never quite decided what to do with it, so the timing was perfect.

Now, making scarves in this manner is typically not up my alley, but I happened to a) have the fabric, and b) have a desire to try new things.

I've worked with fabric enough to have a pretty good idea that it will fray if left to its own devices. So I took advantage of this fact & gave the fabric some encouragement by pulling threads directly. It's not the most fascinating endeavor on the planet, but it's actually pretty relaxing once you get into a rhythm.

Here is one side of the scarf with the threads completely pulled:

madras1 - Share on Ovi

Not bad, eh? What was really fascinating to me also as this went along is that the warp threads naturally seem to curl around each other. I'm not going to leave it like that though, because I can see those getting seriously tangled over time & turning into a knotted mess.

So now comes the edge finishing, which I will have to pose to my client. There are really two options - just knotting some of the threads together & letting the ends hang loose, or doing a twisted fringe. I've got an example of both:

madras2 - Share on Ovi

The first two from the left show the twisted fringe, and the next two show it with just the knots. The rest hasn't been finished because I want my client to make her decision before I go further.

Once that decision is made, I'm going to need to put this aside for a few days to start on some other projects I'll be posting about!

Happy quilting!

Labels: