This Page

has been moved to new address

Mt. Zion Thank You - Fabric Printing Mishaps

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
LoveBug Studios Blog: Mt. Zion Thank You - Fabric Printing Mishaps

LoveBug Studios Blog

Happenings at the quilting studio!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Mt. Zion Thank You - Fabric Printing Mishaps

I decided to try a new product that's on the market (well, new to me at least.) It's a product that is supposed to enable you to make your own printable fabric using an inkjet printer. For those who are new to this technology, inkjet printers use a water-based ink, which essentially makes it soluble in water, i.e. if you get it wet, the ink will smear.

I have tried many products, but typically pre-made printable fabric is very expensive, running around $2.00 per sheet. This product (Bubble Jet Set & Bubble Jet Rinse) have the potential to cut this cost down considerably.

My intent was to use this product exclusively - you have to adhere pieces of fabric to freezer paper, and assuming your printer will accept this hand-made paper, using the product should be a breeze. For quilters of course, cutting paper to an exact dimension of 8.5" x 11" is not that challenging, but making a printer enjoy eating freezer paper is.

Needless to say, I had less-than perfect results as shown in the photos below. I made two sets of the same printing, and set them according to the instructions that came with the product. After 24 hours, I ran one set under cold water - and as the bottom photos show, there was significant color loss, especially in the pink/red family, and bleeding into the surrounding background. The printer I used is a Lexmark X6100 series, which is a very nice printer I must say, but apparently not suited for use with the Bubble Jet products.

100_0710 - Share on Ovi

I found myself scrambling to find a solution, because essentially the entire quilt is printed. I had only slightly better luck with the texts:


100_0713 - Share on Ovi

Still too much bleeding for my tastes.

Labels: ,